Re: How do I run a javascript/script within an applescript?

Re: How do I run a javascript/script within an applescript?

Title: Re: How do I run a javascript/script within an applescript?
On 1/15/07 12:54 PM, Patrik B. wrote:

>> tell application "InDesign CS"        do script file "G5:Cleanup.js"
>> language _javascript_    end tell
>>
>> You may also replace the file reference with quoted _javascript_ code:
>>     tell application "InDesign CS"
>>         do script "// this is a comment
>>     var thisString = \"Hello, World.\"" language _javascript_
>>     end tell
>>
>> That should get you going down the correct path, so to speak.
>
> Hi Stan
>
> I tried your variation below but it does not compile for some reason. It
> gives me an error "Expected end of line but found "." What does that mean?
>
> I am using Script editor 2.0 (v43) Applescript 1.9.3
>
> I remember vaguely that this used to run on my machine. Does this require a
> specific scripting addition?
>
> Best, Patrik

Looks like there may have been a text-wrapping problem, so I’ve switched this email to
HTML format to preserve the code. Here it is again.

tell application "InDesign CS"
    do script file "G5:Cleanup.js" language _javascript_
end tell

tell application "InDesign CS"
    -- FYI, the _javascript_ below does nothing but assign a variable
   do script "// this is a comment
var thisString = \"Hello, World.\"" language _javascript_
end tell

Keep in mind that the above code is for executing _javascript_ that is specifically written
for InDesign CS only, which it appeared you’re trying to do, and works only within an
InDesign CS tell block. I use this approach all the time with Photoshop CS2, when some
function is available only using _javascript_, but not AppleScript.

If you are trying to execute _javascript_ in a non-InDesign environment, then this method
won’t do the job and what you need falls outside my experience.

Stan C.