Re: Carbon's Power

On May 24, 2005, at 10:10 PM, Dmitry Markman wrote:

BTW:
AFAIK CoreAudio isn't a Cocoa API
but CoreImage/CoreVideo is

so how I can access CoreImage functionality from Carbon?
via QT, CoreGraphics?

Well, they're just frameworks. You link against them and call the APIs. You may need to incorporate some Foundation.framework data types into your application - I see that CIImage.h uses NSData, NSURL, NSDictionary, and NSString - but several of these are toll- free-bridged to CoreFoundation types, so you could instead use CFDictionary, CFString, etc. The output of CoreImage appears to be CGImageRefs or CGLayerRefs, which are standard CoreGraphics types that can be drawn into a CG context by any Carbon application.

I think the important point to understand is that artificially dividing up the world of Mac OS X APIs into Carbon and Cocoa, and considering that these are mutually exclusive, is the wrong way to look at things. Mac OS X provides a huge variety of APIs at different levels for use by an application. Some have C interfaces, some have Objective-C interfaces. Someday we may even have C++ interfaces. A Mac OS X application is just that - a Mac OS X application, not really a Carbon application or a Cocoa application. A Mac OS X developer should be prepared to use any API from across the system that does the job, regardless of what framework it comes from. Our job at Apple is to make that possible, and to remove barriers that are in your way when trying to use CoreImage in a app that uses primarily HIView, or a Carbon event in a app that uses [NSApplication run], or using a POSIX API from an app that uses Swing, or whatever is blocking you from using the most appropriate API for the task.

-eric