Re: Is Carbon Viable?

On Jun 13, 2007, at 1:24 AM, Rick Mann wrote:

I don't like the Objective C, and I don't believe it's a good idea for Apple to continue down the path of what is essentially a dead language.

I am deliberately omitting comment on the rest of your message because there's not much point in discussing it here, but I do want to comment on this point.

No one reading this list should be under any illusions about Apple's use of Objective C. Apple really likes Objective C. There are a lot of third-party developers who are using Objective C to program for Mac OS X and who really like it. Apple is not going to stop using Objective C. I'm not making a value judgement here, just stating a simple reality that everyone needs to understand. Do not think that someday Apple will "wake up" and realize that it would be better to recast all of our APIs in C++. That's not going to happen.

I'm also not sure I'd agree with the characterization of Objective C as a dead language. It's certainly a minority language, but it's available via gcc on multiple platforms (not just Mac OS X), and it has a small but significant user base on both Mac OS X and other platforms, and as the market share for Mac OS X grows, the market share for Objective C grows too. That doesn't sound like a dead language to me.

-eric