Firefox: A copy of Firefox is already open.

Firefox: A copy of Firefox is already open.

Our school has 800 user accounts. Occasionally a user will encounter the following dialog when launching Firefox...

"Close Firefox: A copy of Firefox is already open. Only one copy of Firefox can be open at a time."

This is a documented issue at the following web site, and relates to an invisible file ".parentlock" not being deleted when Firefox quits (or unexpectedly quits).
http://kb.MozillaZine.org/Profile_in_use

Does anyone care to share how they resolve this issue for students in their school?

I wish there were an easy fix like holding down the OPTION key while launching Firefox or something like that. Until we find an easier solution, all the other techs in the school just forward a list of affected students to me and I need to manually got into each home directory, make the file visible, and delete it.

David

Workstations: Mac OS 10.4.11
Servers: home directories and managed preferences (including a list of approved applications) via Mac OS Server 10.4.11, with account information stored in Active Directory on Windows Server 2003.