Metadata support

Hello,

I've noticed that tar is able to store files' metadata and in order to preserve it, it adds ._FILENAME file that appears to store FileInfo and file's resource fork if there's one. Anyone knows if this process is somewhere documented including the information it stores beyond the raw resource fork?

My app uses libtar and when I extract everything, I need to recombine ._files back into their owners. I have written something that appears to work but would like to be sure I restored everything I had to.

Thanks,

  Tomas
--
# Ing. Tomas Zahradnicky, Jr.