Re: IOKit KEXT Questions

On Aug 16, 2007, at 1:46 PM, Ernesto Corvi wrote:

I actually want the opposite. I want the the kernel not to be generically patchable, as it is right now, and be able to
have a KPI, such as kauth (although kauth is severely limited in scope right now) where benevolent users can
actually implement the kernel hooks they need.

From a user standpoint, I want kernel development to be as restricted, and well controlled as possible. I know that as a kernel developer, it is extremely difficult to add functionality to the kernel without damaging it's stability.

This whole discussion reminds me of the bad old days of System 7, where developers considered anything fair game - just look at old versions of Microsoft Office for an example of how badly kernel (or system) patches can go.

Ron