Re: partition format on intel

On Jun 8, 2005, at 2:25 PM, chuck remes wrote:
On Jun 8, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
Mark Eaton writes:
says that the partition format is different for Macs running on Intel
processors.

Is there any more detailed info/documentation available on what
specifically is different?

I imagine it would depend on what sort of firmware they are using in their x86 box. I don't have a transition kit, so I'm just guessing.

If they go with a standard Wintel BIOS, then it would be a standard
X86 Wintel "fdisk" partition table. If they go with EFI, then it would
be the EFI scheme (called GFI I think).

See http://www.opendarwin.org/en/articles/booting_on_x86/ index.html#partitioning
for what Darwin/x86 uses.

I didn't make it to WWDC this year but rumor has it the transition boxes are using a standard BIOS therefore the partition table is the fdisk format just like current OpenDarwin releases. I don't think Apple has been explicit in their real choice for what will eventually ship. Hopefully they'll communicate that to us within the next few months.

Correct. We realize there are lots of folks that need to know what is going to be in the ROMs on these new machines, and what partition scheme will be used. Unfortunately, we are not yet in a position to make that information available, but we will communicate it as soon as we reasonably can. Don't assume that what you see in the transition boxes represents what will be present in the final product.

I'm cautiously hoping for EFI as the firmware.

The general consensus I've heard from other developers is: 1) They don't want us to use BIOS 2) If they haven't heard of EFI, they want us to use OF 3) If they have heard of EFI, they want us to use EFI

This is not a statement about what Apple will use, just what I've heard from developers that have an opinion on the subject.

Hang in there...
 - Dean