Re: [revisited] DHCPv6 support needed by others as well...

Re: [revisited] DHCPv6 support needed by others as well...

Hi,

Another possibility is that the people making the IPv6 decisions, or selecting priorities in general, don't see what DHCPv6 solves that router advertisements doesn't. I must admit that adding RDNSS (RFC5006) to the Apple implementation would be handy though.

Myself I had wanted DHCPv6 support, then I stood back and looked to see whether it was crucial. I decided it wasn't, unless I was in the business of wanting to micro-manage my network. On the other hand, I am trying to see what alternative approaches there are to certain things achieved by DHCP. If you can identify the specific functionality not being provided by rtadvd, then it may be easier to make your point, or have someone offer alternatives. Two question that come to mind, without DHCPv6:
- how to register the host's name with a DNS server, once it has assigned itself an address?
- how to prevent network access to a given host, where its ID or MAC address is unrecognised?

André