Re: [revisited] DHCPv6 support needed by others as well...

Re: [revisited] DHCPv6 support needed by others as well...

On 20-Oct-2009, at 09:38, Ron Broersma wrote:

On Oct 19, 2009, at 4:36 PM, Randy Turner wrote:

I wasn't aware that there was "less" IPv6 functionality in Snow Leopard than previous releases. Someone mentioned that 10.6 "defaults" to IPv4, I'm not sure what this means. I'm hoping that there is a way in 10.6 to influence how name lookups are performed, as well as a way to influence IPv6 Source Address Selection.

Proper operation of a dual stack system is to always prefer IPv6 over IPv4 when you get both AAAA and A records from a DNS query. So, if (from a dual stack machine) you use a browser to connect to a dual-stack web site, you should always connect using IPv6, unless it fails for some reason and then you will fall back to IPv4. This is the way it works in every other OS. Then, with Snow Leopard (10.6) it did the opposite and now prefers IPv4 over IPv6, at least as observed with Safari and Firefox. Since our enterprise network is highly IPv6-enabled, we had to recommend to people that they NOT upgrade to 10.6, since those users now see large timeouts when first trying to connect to dual stack web sites that cannot be reached over the IPv4 path. Note that this was based on observations on the first few machines that we upgraded to 10.6, and I'm not aware if later patch releases fixed the problem or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was done to avoid the next worse option: people deactivating IPv6, which is something I have read happening in a number of forums. In reality the reversal of priority won't effect most people at this point, but I would be curious if there is a configurable option to allow this to be modified?