Re: Apple joined OpenJDK!

W00t!
<http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/11/12openjdk.html>

Thank you everyone for the kind words. As Henrik mentions at <http://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/2010/11/oracle_and_apple_announce_openjdk_project_for_osx.html>, it has been a long road getting to this point, but I'm glad that we can now make the Java implementation on Mac OS X a public open source project.

We are still working out the details of exactly who will commit what where and into what tree, so please bear with us as we sort out how the initial commit will land, where to report bugs, mailing lists, etc.

To set expectations, the first drop will be effectively a "SoyLatte"-level implementation, but is packaged as a Universal Mac OS X .jdk bundle that can be dropped directly into /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be adding pieces and parts of our Java SE 6 implementation to the public project, and will cut over from using an X11-based AWT to a Cocoa NSEvent-based one with a new OpenGL-backed graphics layer.

There are several parts of our Java SE 6 implementation (like the AWT widgets) that are not contributable, in much the same way that several parts of Oracle's implementation are not. However, the vast majority of our Swing Aqua Look and Feel implementation is, as well as the eAWT/eIO API. We intend to host the legacy AWT widget set using lightweight peers, but that work is still in progress.

Cheers all, we look forward to working with you in public!
Mike Swingler
Java Engineering
Apple Inc.