GL_ALPHA as a poor man's GL_RED

Hi Y'all,

My understanding is that ARB_texture_rg gives us 1 and 2 component FBO-renderable formats...if I'm using F32 frame buffers this is a pretty huge savings in RAM.

But...if I have a pre-made texture and I simply want to use it...can anyone tell me...

1. If I use GL_ALPHA32F_ARB do I get a one-component 32-bit surface? (E.g. do I really use my VRAM efficiently without extra "dummy" channels?)

2. If I use GL_LUMINANCE_ALPHA32F_ARB do I get a two-component 64-bit surface? (E.g. do I really use my VRAM efficiently without extra "dummy" channels?)

I would like the feature I am working on to run on 10.5.8...if these formats provide everything GL_RED_32F and GL_RG_32F provide except the sampling semantics and renderability, they'd give me backward compatibility.

Thanks!
Ben
--
Scenery Home Page: http://scenery.x-plane.com/