Re: netstat & port scanning

netstat doesn't do a portscan. A portscan attempts to connect to various ports to determine what's open. netstat uses sysctls to get information from the kernel about which ports are open. I believe the network utility performs a classic port scan, iterating through the ports attempting to connect to each one.

The ip6stat structure is a private structure. This structure is likely to change from release to release. Since netstat is recompiled by Apple with every release where the structure changes, this isn't a problem. If a third party used that data structure, they would find that their program broke every time we changed the data structure.

-josh