Re: Boot directly into console/terminal mode (no GUI)

Re: Boot directly into console/terminal mode (no GUI)

On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 02:43 PM, Reid Wilson wrote:

Hi everyone,

We have an OS X Server that we want to boot up directly into
console/terminal, skipping everything GUI, in part because loginwindow keeps
going crazy, apparently since we don't have a monitor hooked up to the
server.

I know how to do this in Linux but can't find anything on the web or these
archives on how to do it in Mac OS X.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Reid

This will require knowledge of using the Terminal.

Copy /etc/ttys to /etc/ttys.back (or use RCS) to back it up.

Open the file in your favorite editor and comment out this line:

console "/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/ loginwindow" vt100 on secure window=/System/Library/CoreServices/WindowServer onoption="/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"

And then uncomment this line:

#console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure

Save and reboot. You should boot straight to a shell login like most Linux or BSDs.

--
Jason Deraleau (email@hidden)
MCSE/MCSA, CCNA, A+, Linux+, Network+