Populating OD in batches

The GUI would be fine for a small number of accounts but how does one handle the creation of hundreds or thousands of accounts in a batch?  Our specific need is to create accounts for active faculty (hundreds) and students (thousands) and retire them when they become inactive.   As well, we'd like to create groups that map to departments and even specific course sections.

All of this data is in our Student Information System (Banner) and can be extracted in an XML file whose structure is well known to us.

How do others handle this kind of challenge?

Dr. Frank Lowney  Georgia College & State University
    Director, Web Enabled Resources
    GCSU Library
    E-Mail: email@hidden
    Professional Pages: http://www2.gcsu.edu/oiit/eis/
    Personal Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate most effectively via e-mail.  Follow-up summaries of telephone conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.