How to set the CUPS default printer programmatically

How to set the CUPS default printer programmatically

Hi,

I am looking for a way to set the current printer and/or the CUPS default
printer programmatically from an application with user signature, i.e.
without privileges, for the user using the application.

Entering the printer ID in $HOME/.lpoptions did not give the desired result.
I looked through the PMxxxx calls and found only calls to get the printer,
but no calls to set it or an API to modify attributes of the printer.

I looked through the CUPS programming manual the only thing I found was
"cupsGetDefault()", but no corresponding call to set the CUPS default
printer.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Thomas Hartwich