Re: unable to open interface

The question and symptoms raised by Tim sounds like a situation where Classic is active and the code demonstrates the "User Mode USB Device Arbitration" symptoms under 10.1.x. This problem is discussed in depth in the document

/Developer/Documentation/IOKit/usb/Classic USB Device Ar#14DC2.rtf

As for Joe's question, is the control interface which is being accessed, one for which an Apple driver has already matched to or not (assuming classic is not active). For an audio device, there is the control interface and the audio interface which normally get matched by the Apple Audio Class driver. If the intention is to access the control portion of the device, the issue may be different as the Apple class driver already has exclusive access to the device. If as is indicated, there are not the API's to access the additional functionality, then it would see that a vendor specific driver would have to be implemented. Note that I'm not an audio class driver expert, but maybe those on the list who are, can provide additional comment.

rich kubota