X.org / X11.app source code distribution available; cursor fix binary, too

X.org / X11.app source code distribution available; cursor fix binary, too

The following steps should work to build the Xquartz that comes with Leopard, assuming you're on a Leopard system. (It's possible to do this on Tiger, too, but is much more difficult and the subject for another conversation.)

curl -LO http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/pkg-config-0.22.tar.gz
curl -LO http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mesa3d/MesaLib-6.5.2.tar.bz2
curl -LO http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/x11app/xorg-server-1.2.0a1.tar.bz2
tar zxf pkg-config-0.22.tar.gz
tar jxf MesaLib-6.5.2.tar.bz2
tar jxf xorg-server-1.2.0a1.tar.bz2
cd pkg-config-0.22
./configure && make && sudo make install
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig
export CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -pipe"
export LDFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -pipe"
cd ../xorg-server-1.2.0
./configure --prefix=/usr/X11 --with-mesa-source=`pwd`/../Mesa-6.5.2/ --disable-dependency-tracking
make
sudo mv /usr/X11/bin/Xquartz /usr/X11/bin/Xquartz.old
sudo cp hw/darwin/Xquartz /usr/X11/bin

As an added bonus, I applied the yellow-cursor-fix patch that I dropped on the floor and it's present in that source tree. A compiled version of that binary is available at http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/x11app/Xquartz-cursorfix.bz2 .

I'd be interested in hearing if that binary fixes the cursor problem (I still have never successfully reproduced the problem, and not for lack of trying). I would also like to hear if those instructions work, and I would love any other patches thrown my way, too.
--
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer