Re: Am I being debugged?

Justin is right, ptrace isn't going to help you out here.

It is possible to find out if you are being traced, however. Or at least "ps" can do it (it puts an X in the process status field for traced processes...). This doesn't 100% guarantee you are running under gdb, but there aren't that many other tools out there that use ptrace, so it's a pretty good bet...

If you grub around a bit in the ps source code, you find that they get the information you want from one of the kinfo_proc fields returned by sysctl. Note that all the interfaces to do this are marked in the header files with "#ifdef __APPLE_API_UNSTABLE" so this isn't guaranteed to work anywhere else, but on Panther, something like:

#include <sys/sysctl.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#include <err.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main ()
{

  int mib[4];
  size_t bufSize = 0;
  int local_error = 0;
  struct kinfo_proc kp;

  mib[0] = CTL_KERN;
  mib[1] = KERN_PROC;
  mib[2] = KERN_PROC_PID;
  mib[3] = getpid();

  bufSize = sizeof (kp);
  if ((local_error = sysctl(mib, 4, &kp, &bufSize, NULL, 0)) < 0) {
    perror("Failure calling sysctl");
    return 0;
  }
  if (kp.kp_proc.p_flag & P_TRACED)
    printf ("I am traced\n");
  else
    printf ("I am not traced\n");
  return 0;
}

will do what you want. To detect if you have been attached to, you are just going to have to run this periodically and check whether you have become traced. There isn't any message that you are sent, at least none that I know of, on ptrace attach.

Jim