Re: bfobserver daemon

On 2006 May 31, at 1:32 AM, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

For a variety of unfortunate reasons, it had to be installed that way to meet the requirements of the release.

The daemon does basically nothing until a user activates Dedicated Network Builds.

So, yes, it is by design and, yes, we consider it to be a bug and am working towards a different solution in a future release. No need to file a bug on this particular issue.

If you want to permanently disable it:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ com.apple.dnbobserver.plist

Just remember to re-enable it if you want to use DNB:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ com.apple.dnbobserver.plist

b.bum

Beware! Do not copy and paste this into Terminal. There should not be a space between /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ and com.apple.dnbobserver.plist. It could completely hose your system.

I copy / pasted the unload line. And everything is running fine. I did check the Activity Monitor, and bfobserver is no longer running. Could the potential system hosing happen with a restart?

(goes off to back up important files).

Adin Hunter Baber

I had some spinning pinwheels and dock bouncing with a number of apps, including Finder, but I was finally able to shutdown using Terminal. When I restarted, however, it hung forever at the blue screen. I tried a number of things that didn't work. What did work was to boot from my install DVD and run launchctl from there. I believe I typed something like "launchctl load -w /Volumes/<my HD name>/System/Library/LaunchDaemons". I was then able to reboot successfully. If you do that, I'd suggest disconnecting from the internet, because a bunch of your services will be on. I turned some off via the Sharing pane in System Preferences, and for the rest of the daemons, I did my best to figure out on my own which should be on and which disabled. The Darwin sources helped a lot (http:// darwinsource.opendarwin.org/Current/). I ended up unloading the following plist files:

bootps, com.apple.dnbobserver, com.apple.dnbvolunteer, com.apple.xgridagentd, com.apple.xgridcontrollerd, comsat, distccd, eppc, exec, finger, ftp, login, nmbd, ntalk, org.isc.named, printer, shell, smbd, ssh, swat, telnet, tftp

The rest of them should stay enabled, I think. Of course, that's just the default configuration, so you may want some additional things enabled.

-Jeff