HTML entities and hiutil 1.3

My help indexing appears to be totally busted since updating to XCode 4.4/4.5 and/or OS X 10.7/10.8. I was previously just letting helpd take care of indexing my old-style HTML 3.2 based help book, but recently noticed that I could not search or go to anchors using openHelpAnchor:inBook: anymore.

Reading the archived posts here, I've now learned enough to switch to the new-style bundle layout, add a build step to run hiutil on my html to build the helpindex file, and converted all my files to well-formed XHTML (at least no red squigglies in MS Visual Studio).

When I run hiutil with the -v flag, though, I see an error message
  Parse error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSXMLParserErrorDomain error 27.)
for each and every HTML named entity in my pages. I'm not sure how big of a problem this is--at first, I didn't seem to be getting any index entries for pages with these errors, but now I see that anchors from at least some of the pages with errors actually are present in the index. It's possible I just hadn't cleared all the help caches out enough to see it work until after I had cleaned the first page I was testing up. But I'm also concerned that the files with these errors might only be partially indexed--i.e. maybe it skips content after the entity. Can anyone tell me if I should be worried?

If so, is there anything I can add to my doctype to convince hiutil that these entities pose no threat, or do I have to convert them all to numeric entities?

My current doctype prologue is:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

I've tried adding:

       <!ENTITY % xhtml-lat1
           PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
                  "xhtml-lat1.ent" >
       %xhtml-lat1;

right after the DOCYPE line as described in http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities.html
but that just results in a parse error on that line.

Thanks for any insights,
Keith