Re: Best way to test for OS version

On 12/19/05, Brett Conlon <email@hidden> wrote:

> What is the best way for a script to test for the version of OSX a user is
> running?
>
> I'm setting up UI scripting for printing and there are some minor changes
> from 10.3.9 to 10.4 and I'd like to include an OSXTest handler then IF
> statements to act accordingly?

This works well in Tiger and AFAIK, should work in Panther (not tested),
itreturns both the OS version and the build number. Modify as necessary.

try
	setvers to (do shell script "defaults read
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion ProductUserVisibleVersion")
end try
try
	setbuild to (do shell script "defaults read
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion ProductBuildVersion")
end try
tell application "Finder"
	display dialog "This computer is running" & return &return & "MacOS X
version: " & vers & return &"     Build Version: " & build buttons "OK" default
button 1
end tell