Re: Enumerating Running Applications

On May 15, 2009, at 7:55 AM, Ari Black wrote:

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Ari Black <email@hidden> wrote:
I'm probably going to be asking more questions about this topic. In the long
run, I'm trying to emulate some of the behaviour of the Dock, the next steps
will be showing the icon and display name of the applications, but more
importantly, I want to show the custom updates (E.g. Mail.app's # of new
mail) and the icon bounce. I don't think I'm going to be able to get that
information from the bundle itself, although I could be wrong.

Custom updates and icon bounce rely on the fact that the application frameworks, the window server and the Dock can all communicate with each other. They do this because they are designed that way, and use IPC and private frameworks to accomplish these results. It's almost certainly not going to be feasible for a third party application to access this information.

-- Finlay

That's an interesting statement. I wonder how DragThing does it. Do you think that the developer reverse-engineered the calls?

Probably. Finlay is right, there's no API for accessing custom dock icons or notification state.

-eric

Well nuts, that's no fair... I guess no one was ever expeced to want to make a similar application list to the dock.

So should I give up here or can someone suggest a way for me to start investigating the workings of the Dock?