Re: Some apps refuse to launch in 10.2.8! (OT, but very important)

On 13/10/03 1:42 pm, j o a r <email@hidden> wrote:

> This is not entirely true, as you've been able to read/write compressed
> images since way back on Mac OS 9, or perhaps even earlier. I'm not
> sure that it's always been available as an option in the UI, but AFAIK
> the compressed format has always been supported on Mac OS X - or am I
> wrong?
>
> j o a r
>
> On 2003-10-13, at 13.52, M. Uli Kusterer wrote:
>
>> Note that compressed disk images were introduced with Jaguar. So, if
>> you want to deploy to 10.0.x or 10.1.x, you'd either create an
>> uncompressed image (optionally running gzip over it, which Stuffit
>> Expander can unpack), or fins some other option.

According to the hdiutil man page in 10.2:

---
COMPATIBILITY
Several new features have been introduced into the DiskImages framework
with OS X 10.1 and OS X 10.2. Sparse images, encrypted images, and
zlib-
compressed images all did not exist in OS X 10.0.x but came into being
with 10.1. These images will not attach (or will attach read/write
allowing for their destruction) on OS X 10.0.x.

With OS X 10.2, in-kernel attachment becomes possible, image meta-data
can now be stored as XML-only, and the default Disk Copy.app
"compressed"
format is now UDZO. It is now possible to create images that won't
attach on OS X 10.1 and easy to create images that won't attach on OS X
10.0.
---

So using compressed disk images is relatively safe, unless you need to
support 10.0.

Cheers,

Chris