AFConvert and Core Audio file conversion

AFConvert and Core Audio file conversion

Hi

I really need to manually convert some audio formats in my app from
aiff to a low bit-rate mp3 or aac. I have come across afconvert which
is bundled (along with source) with the developer tools but not
included on a standard OS X install.

This is unfortunate because it seems that it does exactly what I need,
so I had the thought to bundle it inside my app package and use it
from there. I realise I could cobble together the core audio
frameworks to do what I want as well but why reinvent the wheel eh?

Are there any best practices when bundling foundation tools? or event
just information about how I might approach the bundling of a command
line tool like this?

Cheers
Dave

PS. I have checked and from the license at the top of the afconvert
sources, it seems that it would be legal to do this.

--
e-mail: email@hidden
web: http://shinydevelopment.com

Shiny Development Ltd. is registered in England, Registration Number:
05805802. Registered Office: 4 Claridge Court, Lower Kings Road,
Berkhamsted, Herts., HP4 2AF.