Re: Anyone had this kind of Audio Echo problem???

The description of your problem sounds like the driver is having issues, possibly a math roll-over problem in how it's tracking where it is in it's ring buffer. Have you contacted the developer of the card?
On Jan 31, 2005, at 5:54 AM, Marc Van Olmen wrote:
Hi,
I finally found proof that the problem I'm experiencing is related to the video/driver of the DeckLink card.
I used an application called "Audio Hijack Pro", this application can record any Audio Unit's output. So I recorded the audio that is being sent by my application to the video card. At the same time I recored the audio that is being send out from the DeckLink Extreme card and...
The Echo is coming out of the video card but is NOT in the Audio Unit Output from my Application.
This time the echo appeared after 7 hours and 30 minutes playback. The audio first start cracking a little bit. And then suddenly the audio starts echoing:
http://www.sky4studios.com/echo_longrecording.mov
This is a 14 minute extract of the recorded audio output from the Decklink card... it starts Ok and then suddenly the echo.
Possible explanation why in the beginning I heard in the beginning an "1 second" delay and now i hear an echo could be that I switched from coreAudio API v1 to coreAudio API v2. Since I use the latest I only hear the echo effect. This could be because of the fact that the audio channels are being passed in 2 different memory buffers (coreAudio API v2) and before they were passed in one interleaved memory buffer (coreAudio API v1).
Also looking at the coreAudio mailing list from Apple. I noticed another driver problem speaking about an echo problem. Maybe this can help you finding the bug:
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:30:31 -0500
From: Ben Ralston <email@hidden>
Subject: Echo on front & end of audio clip
To: <email@hidden>
I'm resurrecting an old OS 9 audio driver and basing the engine on the
Apple02DBDMAAudioDMA engine. This actually turned out to be quite easy to
use the source and quickly get my driver spitting out (mostly) clean audio.
However, at the beginning of each sample played, I get an echo of the last
second or so of the last sample played. Ie., if I play the system beep, and
then start a song in iTunes, the first second of the song gets mixed with
the beep. Then the last second of a clip sometimes gets echoed just as the
audio engine is stopping.
Its like my DMA buffer is overflowing into the next cycle. From the
'WritingAudioDrivers.pdf' document, it sounds like the problem could be with
the 'erase head' that is spoken of. Like it is not keeping up with the
playhead, or not erasing far enough. How do I make adjustments to something
like this?
Any thoughts from the experts would be appreciated...
-Ben
cheers,
mvo