Re: Audio recording bitdepth

On Dec 2, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Bjorn Roche wrote:

On Dec 2, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Bjorn Roche wrote:

Hey doug,

Thanks for your response. I find it a bit surprising that drivers do the int<->float conversions, but I suppose this could be useful if they can manage that on hardware. Still, Core Audio provides converters for this purpose, and presumably those are canonical and maybe could be used by the drivers. I presume that these use power of 2 multiplication/division as well.

FWIW, many other transforms are bit-transparent as well. I've done some testing and

2^n
2^(n-1)

and several other transforms are bit transparent up to 24-bits as well. I will report back when I've posted my results.

Here's my survey of what's happening on other platforms and what's bit-transparent:

http://blog.bjornroche.com/2009/12/int-float-int-its-jungle-out-there.html

I will be discussion linearity, dither and so on, next.

At the risk of starting a flame war, here is my follow-up:

http://blog.bjornroche.com/2009/12/linearity-and-dynamic-range-in-int.html

	bjorn

Bjorn Roche
XO Wave
Digital Audio Production and Post-Production Software
http://www.xowave.com
http://blog.bjornroche.com
http://myspace.com/xowave