Serial port arbitration (UUCP device locking protocol?)

Serial port arbitration (UUCP device locking protocol?)

I couldn't find any documentation or discussion of serial port
arbitration in darwin or Mac OS X. The situation is the classic one: I
want my program to listen on the modem port but yield it to any other
program wishing to use it. The efax man page mentions the "UUCP device
locking protocol", but this appears to be useful only if all other
applications adhere to it. Is Open Transport's arbitration mechanism
supported under Mac OS X? If so, what does it use on the darwin level?

I also wouldn't want the fact that I'm listening on the device to
interfere with sleep. Do I need to listen for system power
notifications and close the port when the system is requesting
permission to go to sleep?