Simple question: What does 'make [1], make[2]...make[n]' mean?

Simple question: What does 'make [1], make[2]...make[n]' mean?

Greetings:
I'm running a generic make via 'Makefile' of some open unix-application source code. I notice the following:
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in developers

Since I got idle time on my hands as I watch the 'make' do its thing, I wonder what the [n] represents.

Regards,
Ric.