Simulating an IOKit device

I am trying to build a mass-storage device simulator, using some of the same source that goes into firmware for a device I am working to develop.

I would like to attach the simulator into the IORegistry, to exercise the simulator in a "production" environment.

My intent is that I somehow instantiate a nub that is not really attached to a bus in the IORegistry tree, but can attach a SCSIPeripheralDeviceType00 to itself, creating a virtual storage device that can attach a BSD dev node and a filesystem to itself.

Can someone point me at the right SDK and/or headers and documentation, to get me a start down this path? In particular, how can I create the "root" object, without being instantiated by a "real" parent?

I will appreciate your suggestions.
--Tommy