Re: Current Directory of a Process

I have seen that basically all file access does provide the full path except the Terminal. To keep track of the current directory you just have to keep track of all SYS_chdir calls... But it is really ugly, but not as ugly as the solutions you mention.

If I could add a feature request wish for a future version of the kernel, I would like to see a variable somewhere that stores the current working directory on a per process basis. If you think about it, 1024 bytes extra per process is not that much of a performance penalty in a modern world? On my machine as it is running now, with about 10 applications open, it means 68kB more memory used by the kernel. I know I am simplifying it quite a bit. The path does not have to be unique or even correct, it just needs to be one path that does work. I think there are a significant number of applications that will suffer performance penalties because it is so slow/difficult to get to the current working directory.

I have seen at least one complaint of the slow performance of darwin because of this. Look at an email "Performance of realpath" on the darwin-development mailing list about slow performance of PHP.

Thank you
Robert Sandilands