Re: Netinfod crashing

The dsstore_fetch error is very bad. It means that the local NetInfo database is corrupt. Specifically, /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb/Store.224 is corrupt in some way. Without looking at it, I can't really guess why. Needless to say, this is never supposed to happen. You can try booting in single-user mode, and then:

	fsck -y
	mount -uw /
	rm -f /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb/Index
	rm -f /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb/Clean
	nicl -raw /var/db/netinfo.local.nidb

This will force nicl to run a database check. It is capable of detecting and correcting some database problems (but don't be too hopeful). If it eventually prints a "> " prompt, then it managed to fix the database. type "quit" and then reboot. However, if one of the files in the database is really messed up, then it will fail. In this case, you really can't do much expect throw away the database (save a copy and send it to me if security considerations allow you to do so), and replace it from backup. If you don't have a backup, just get rid of it:

	mv /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/local.dead

and reboot. There's a check at startup for a missing database, and a perl script in /usr/libexec/create_nidb will build a default database. Unfortunately, all your changes will be lost.

Just a by-the-way: take a look at using "nicl" rather than niutil. You can write scripts for nicl. The important difference is that you can make a single NetInfo connection with nicl, then issue lots of commands that work over that one connection. Writing scripts with niutil (invoking niutil many times) creates a new tcp connection to the NetInfo server for each "niutil" command. It is a lot slower than just starting nicl once and feeding it a lot of commands.

--
Marc Majka