Re: [Fed-Talk] Lion FileVault

>From this review:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/13

" Lion doesn't make encrypting disks other than the boot disk particularly
easy. The Disk Utility application can remove encryption from a volume,
change a volume's encryption password, or reformat a volume with encryption
enabled (deleting all the data currently on the volume in the process), but
there is no option to transparently encrypt a volume without erasing it.

Command-line tools to the rescue: diskutil will happily attempt to encrypt
any volume you point it at, without erasing it first. Actually, the process
is to convert it to a Core Storage volume which may optionally include
encryption."