[Fed-Talk] WebDAV Speed Fed Dropbox

We've been recently told we can no longer use Drop Box (I do not think we were ever officially allowed to, but they have blocked it at the routers for us)…

With Lion Server I have decided to undertake a "agency" drop box that we can use with WebDAV.

I am hoping someone on here can answer a question for me, WHY is WebDAV SO SLOW on Mac OS X?

I know iDisk uses WebDAV, and when I mount WebDAV drives from finder over an external network it takes forever to do the smallest things.

I am assuming that WebDAV handles all OS X files appropriately (bundles, resource forks, etc), which Dropbox could not always do…

Is there a setting somewhere I can set WebDAV "chunks" to be larger than what they are currently set at?  That's the only thing I can think of that seems to make it so slow…

I'm trying to come up with a solution for a local cloud for us, but if WebDAV is this slow nobody will want to use it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike