[Fed-Talk] Passware grabs Mac passwords over FireWire

[Fed-Talk] Passware grabs Mac passwords over FireWire

FireWire has long been known as a back door into Mac OS RAM.  Now Passware
has a kit for extracting system passwords from Mac OS X over FireWire:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/passware-proves-mac-os-lion-insecure-revealing-login-passwords-in-minutes-126166663.html

>The security risk is easy to overcome by simply turning off the computer
>instead of putting it to sleep, and disabling the "Automatic Login"
>setting. This way, passwords will not be present in memory and cannot be
>recovered.

Note that www.lostpassword.com, Passware's web site, is blocked by DOI Web
filters as Malware, so be careful out there.

I wonder if Thunderbolt presents the same issues?

-- Rex