Re: [Fed-Talk] IPad cost comparison (UNCLASSIFIED)

Re: [Fed-Talk] IPad cost comparison (UNCLASSIFIED)

I don't know the rules for "Made in USA", so consider this a thought exercise.

This graphic describes component costs and manufacturing cost for the iPad 2:

http://www.isuppli.com/PublishingImages/Press Releases/2011-03-12_iPad2_BOM.png

Virtually none of the components are made in USA (some have never been made in USA), so estimating their costs if made here would be difficult.

The manufacturing cost of $10 probably corresponds to labor costs in China.

What if we assembled these components in USA?

Using numbers from BLS: http://www.bls.gov/fls/

In 2008 (last year of roughly comparable data), Chinese urban workers cost $2.36 per hour, USA manufacturing workers cost $32.23 per hour, or about 13.6 times more.

If assembled in USA, then the price of an iPad 2 might go up $126 if passed through without markup, or 18% to 25% depending on the model.

=====

This topic often falls under Trade Agreement Act (TAA) compliance and other procurement rules.

Recent story on that topic for iPads:

http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20110711/IT03/107110301

"iPhones and iPads, however, are not available on the General Services Administration's Federal Supply Schedules, which are contracts available for use by any federal agency, because of a special legal quirk. Those products are manufactured in China, which is not in compliance with the Trade Agreement Act, and so not on the schedules, said David Peters, program manager for GSA's Network Programs."

-- Rex