Re: JBOSS vs Tomcat vs Jetty vs Velocity etc.

Re: JBOSS vs Tomcat vs Jetty vs Velocity etc.

On Oct 17, 2004, at 6:32 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:14:33 -0400, radknee <email@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

SO, for my questions:
* JBOSS: it's for heavy-duty J2EE apps whereas straight Tomcat is for
J2SE
stuff?

J2EE has two main parts, servlets and EJBs. Servlets process requests from web servers and return HTML. The HTML may be generated by Tapestry, Velocity, JSP pages etc. EJBs allow you to access your business logic remotely, and help out with transaction management. Entity EJBs provide persistence to relational databases.

JBoss provides an EJB server, and includes Tomcat (or Jetty) as a
Servlet engine.

JBoss is for when you need EJBs. This is not something you need very
often. Most web applications can happily be done just with a servlet
engine. Entity EJBs are relatively difficult to use -- I use a lighter
weight object-relational mapping product such as Hibernate (open
source)  or a JDO implementation such as Kodo (commercial).

There are some other things included in JBoss (e.g. JAAS, clustering, etc), all in one huge package. You can configure JBoss to strip out functionality that you don't need, but that can be a bit tricky for somebody new to JBoss (but if you don't do that you'll find that JBoss chews up an incredible amount of time starting and stopping -- and, yes, JBoss does support reloading of your webapp, but there's a downside to doing that too (that I won't get into here)).

As Tom says there are alternatives to most of what you need in JBoss that are available elsewhere. In some cases JBoss includes other open source projects (e.g. Jetty and Tomcat) that you can include directly into Jetty/Tomcat yourself.

We stopped using JBoss entirely just over a year ago. There are far simpler ways to do things I think. Simple is good, especially in infrastructure.

* JBOSS still needs a servlet container like Tomcat or Jetty, right? It
doesn't serve http on it's own?

Correct.

It relies on Jetty or Tomcat for that (as Tom mentioned).

* Is Jetty so much better than Tomcat that I should ditch Tomcat?

I prefer Jetty myself, finding it simpler to configure, but Tomcat works fine as well -- I just find my life simpler with Jetty. (there's also a nice Eclipse plugin for running Jetty)

We also use Jetty, though Tomcat is catching up in a few areas. For example, the biggest difference that mattered to me as a programmer is that Jetty starts up faster, and, say a year ago, a lot faster than Tomcat.

* Is Velocity a better solution than JSP for creating dynamic web pages?

I haven't used Velocity, so I'm not sure, although I do dislike JSPs. Tapestry provides a much higher level of abstraction than JSPs.

We've stopped using JSPs entirely. We happen to be using Velocity, but there are some interesting alternatives that have taken a similar approach (e.g. freemarker, tea).

* I've heard J2EE (JBOSS) apps are much more resource intensive than
J2SE
(Tomcat) -- is this true? Should a premium be charged for J2EE use on a
shared server? Or does it even make sense to offer J2EE in a shared
environment rather than on a dedicated server?

Servlets are J2EE too. You'll find that JBoss uses more memory than a servlet engine, so I suppose you'd need to charge a premium.

And the startup and shutdown time of JBoss are significantly longer. You'll find yourself using 'kill' to shut it down, at least that's what everyone here started to do.

I'd appreciate help with any of the above. The commercial server I
manage is
currently just running Tomcat through apache with mod_jk, and we're
wondering about offering JBOSS services also.

I guess it depends on what your customers want -- you could also have a look at JettyPlus, which includes JTA support for transactions.

You should make sure you have a reason to do that.