From: Aaron Roberts <email@hidden>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:00:39 -0700
To: Greg Guerin <email@hidden>, Gordie Neff <email@hidden>
Cc: email@hidden
Subject: Re: Java and Parallax Basic Stamps, including Javelin

Greg and Gordie -

Thank you both for your great feedback!

My parameters for a development system are -

- Mac OSX powerbook.  I have no serial port, so I need to get a USB converter
- Programmable hardware thats relatively inexpensive (I'd say between $10 - $35'ish per unit)
- A dev environment that I can get for about $100 or less
- My development time is more costly than hardware, so going 'hardcore' and doing assembly, IE Pic chips and such, isn't really an option.  Highlevel access to serial ports and doing I/O is ideal.

The current project I'd like to tackle is making an electric door latch using an iButton, microcontroller, and associated powersupplies, door, etc.

Future projects would be along the lines of -
- Simple controller for solar water heating system
- A proportional nitrous controller for turbo lag suppression (probably a friend's project, but still worth mentioning)
- Garage door monitor for home automation system to autoclose the door between a certain time frame

Its unclear to me what I need to develop for the Tini system.  From the DS website -

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4983

I'm unclear as to which is the actual microcontroller.  The DSTINIm400 appears to be it, but I can't determine if there are others.

The Parallax basicStamp and Javelin are appealing, due to cost, but I don't want a limited development environment if I can avoid it.  Java appeals to me, but I've got no aversion to basic.  The Javelin is more expensive than the stamp modules, but again being able to quickly be productive is important to this time limited father of two.

Based on both of your experiences, which seems to balance getting up and running 'easily' with cost?

Thanks,
Aaron