Re: Java Dev Recommendation

We have been using NetBeans www.netbeans.org with http://www.postgresql.org/ and MySQL.
If you are in for IDE tools NetBeans provides tools for using any DB.
We had problems with Hibernate so we are using JDBC and Apache http://commons.apache.org/dbcp/ for connection pool.
Hibernate has also some limitations on using stored procedures.(We are using exclusively Stored Procedures.)
The real problem with Java development on MacOSX is the Java compatibility. Java 6 is still not supported and you better stick with Java 5 libraries.
Otherwise server side code is pretty much portable.

We highly recommend Java development on MacOSX, the machines are fast (put enough RAM) and the UNIX foundation helps.

Marc Chanliau wrote:
I'm new to development on the Mac. I'm looking for recommendation for developing server-side (database-centric) Java apps on the Mac. I took a look at WebObjects and I was wondering whether anybody has used it for that purpose (I see that some WebObjects tools are being deprecated). I would like to be able to deploy my apps to any app server on any OS platform without having to change these apps too much for each specific runtime environment (I would, however, consider optimization for runtime on a Mac server, if necessary).
Any advice? (I'm willing to learn new tools if I have to).
Thanks.