Mac OS X 10.4.8 (current) re-install and ... Java for Mac OS X 10.4 Release 5

Mac OS X 10.4.8 (current) re-install and ... Java for Mac OS X 10.4 Release 5

How many times must I restart (reboot) my PowerBook to install Java for Mac OS X 10.4 Release 5 from a fresh 10.4 install ?

Plenty, too many times, really!

Step 1: back up your data,
Step 2: boot on the original Tiger DVD (10.4),
Step 3: format (really format, with erase data) the hard disk,
Step 4: Install the 10.4 base OS,
Step 5: Install and reboot as needed:

	Mac OS X 10.4.8 Combo Update (PPC)
	Optional Installs (in the original DVD)
	X11 Update 2006

	AirPort 4.2 for Mac OS X 10.4.2
	AirPort Update 2005-001
	iTunes 7.0.2
	QuickTime 7.1.3
	iChat Update 1.0 (PPC)
	Security Update 2006-007 Tiger (10.4)
	Security Update 2006-008 Tiger (10.4)

	Security Update 2007-001
	Security Update 2007-002 Tiger

Last step: Install Java:
	Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 Release 2
	J2SE 5.0 Release 4 (PPC)

	Java for Mac OS X 10.4 Release 5

And you’re done (no reboot in the Java installs).

Sorry, I do not know the time the process tooks.

I think it is time to get 10.4.9 (if all of the above is rolled in it).

BTW: I do not talk about the iTunes Phone Driver (not found in the Download pages), and at this report writing time, I do not have access to the internet, so  I do not know if I missed one update; however, the last full update (back in mid January 2007) I created a special folder with all needed updates and I have added to that the ones that went after that date!

BTW: the target machine is a PowerBook G4 15", 1.5GHz, 512MB/80MB Alu (from 08-2004).

A re-read some days later let me sense a bad feeling in my writing. If you too read it that way, remove that feeling and try to take it a "report to go in the good way" :)
[sorry]

HTH,

Emile

PS: after a check online, it happens that I had to install Daylight Saving Time Update (Tiger) too dispite what is said in the Java for Mac OS X 10.4 Release 5 ReadMe file (add one reboot for this install; and this is a 9.5MB Installer package file!).