RE: java -server jvm option:

No--mostly the question stems from the fact that the "-XX" flags were never
guaranteed to work on other platforms and (from what I was told) were always
assumed to be Hotspot-specific. Is the Apple JVM a Hotspot licensee? Or is
it OpenJDK-based? Or has Apple just sought to preserve compatibility between
the two? (At last count, there are over 8,000-something -XX flags in the JDK
builds, at least that's what I got with a debug build of the JDK source a
year or so back.)

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing