Re: How can we mount and unmount dmg files on MAC OS X using java APIs ?

Re: How can we mount and unmount dmg files on MAC OS X using java APIs ?

vvvsn murthy wrote:

I have heard MAC OS X supports kernel level programming in java.

Wherever you heard that, ignore it.  It's wrong.

I know of no OS that supports kernel level programming in Java. To do so would require the JVM to be running in the kernel, and no OS does that, AFAIK. Mac OS X certainly doesn't.

Maybe you mean something else when you say "kernel level programming". If so, you'd have to explain exactly what you mean, and what problem you're trying to solve that you think it needs kernel level programming in Java.

I have worked with command line options but i want to know whether there are any APIs to mount and unmount the disk images?

Mount, no.

Unmount, maybe. Read the man page for the unmount() system call (man 2 unmount). Then try it. If it works, then you have a solution. If it doesn't work, then don't do that, and use 'hdiutil' instead.

There is no public API for disk images. The published way to work with disk-images is the 'hdiutil' command-line tool.

Evidence can be seen with this Terminal.app command:
  otool -L /usr/bin/hdiutil

Note the word "Private" in the path to DiskImages.framework.

  -- GG