Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4 and JavaAppLauncher

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4 and JavaAppLauncher

After the latest upgrade starting several of my Java-based applications fails
(when I have changed the plist to say 1.6+). This includes IntelliJ, Install4J
and DbVisualizer.

For example trying to start IntelliJ:

% open IntelliJ\ IDEA\ 7.0.5.app
LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10810 for the file / Applications/Extra/IntelliJ IDEA 7.0.5.app.

if I try the launcher directly:

% ./IntelliJ\ IDEA\ 7.0.5.app/Contents/MacOS/idea
[JavaAppLauncher Warning] Java application launched from PPC or bad stub. Relaunching in 32-bit, and tagging sub-processes to prefer 32- bit with $JAVA_ARCH=i386.
[JavaAppLauncher Error] This process is [i386] and was re-exec'd from [i386], but for some reason we are trying re-exec to [].
[JavaAppLauncher Error] unable to find a version of Java to launch

Why doesn't existing JavaAppLauncher's work with latest Java 1.6? I know that I can
copy /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/ JavaApplicationStub,
but this sound like a problem *may* users will run into after upgrading to Update 4?

/Janne