Re: Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4 and 10.4 Release 9

Re: Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4 and 10.4 Release 9

nice!
On Jun 15, 2009, at 10:51 PM, Mike Swingler wrote:

On Jun 15, 2009, at 10:11 PM, Greg Guerin wrote:

Mike Swingler wrote:

Java Web Start in Update 4 now relies on the latest (Java SE 6) version of launcher/deployment classes which are designed to launch in all versions of Java, back to 1.4.

How does that work on machines that lack a 64-bit-capable CPU?

The one machine that's running Leopard here is 64-bit (Core 2 Duo), but I'd like to know what to expect when I get around to upgrading the other machines, which are not 64-bit.

The deploy.jar and javaws.jar classes are all compiled to be backward compatible to run on a 1.4 JRE, so they basically just work as designed by Sun. The Java on a 32-bit only capable machine simply refers to the Deploy.bundle just like a 64-bit capable machine, but loads the classes in J2SE 5.0 instead of Java SE 6.

There is no rule that says the deployment resources have to co- habitate with the JDK, so by putting them in their own Mac OS X bundle, they can be versioned and updated independently (and cuts a few MB off the update size, since we don't have to ship redundant copies).

Cheers,
Mike Swingler
Java Runtime Engineer
Apple Inc.