RE: How to set up DNS server

If you wanted to handout both internet and non-routable ips from the same named server then this is probably best accomplished with bind 9 and the views feature. Bind 8.2.3 as shipped with OS X doesn't do this cleanly AFAIK.

Your internal nameserver does not have the authority to do this. I think you could fake it; in the NS records, do NOT list your ISP's DNS servers, just your internal, and put your internal DNS server in the SOA record. You will probably need to dump the db.cache file as well, and then restart bind.

Then you will need to place your internal DNS server as the only nameserver in the lookup list on your local machines. Also, you will need to tell bind to use your ISP's nameservers as forwarders for recursive lookups of external domains.