Extended Attributes file -- definition of?

Extended Attributes file -- definition of?

Does anyone know precisely what is the "Extended Attributes file" on an HFS+ file system? I note that the fsck_hfs command-line tool when used with the switches -d -f and -n will output for some HFS+ volumes a message stating:

** Checking Extended Attributes file.

I'm wondering precisely what this file is, what its purpose is and where it is located on the file system.

I've checked the fsck_hfs man page and various other on-line resources, even the Mac OS X Internals book doesn't list the Extended Attributes file in its Index.

Cheers,

Sergio