Re: ipfw.config - how to block ip ranges

Re: ipfw.config - how to block ip ranges

>>when trying:
>>
>>add deny log tcp from 75.119.0.0 - 75.119.95.255 to any dst-port 25 in
>>
>>or
>>
>>add deny log tcp from 75.119.0.0-75.119.95.255 to any dst-port 25 in
>>
>>Does not seem to work.
>
>Correct, because neither one of those follows the example of using a range you yourself already provided. Re-read the example of a range you provided above. See how you specified a range for 83.0.0.0 to 82.255.255.255? That used a CIDR block. Additionally you can use a netmask. See the docs.
>
>Note, that since the above range you're trying to deny isn't expressible using a single netmask. That leads me to question if indeed that's really the range you wanted since you're not describing a network anyway. If indeed it is the range you wanted, break it down into two (or more) CIDR blocks according to the networks you're trying to represent.

Good call, Dan.

Steve at al, here's a handy little CIDR calculator, I've used this a lot for configuring Postfix blocks:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/cidr.ch

hope this helps.

10 days to Hallowe'en! woo hoo!

--
Cameron Knowlton

InfuseCreative.com
Analyst
Tel: 250-382-0226

INTERNET E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this transmission (including any attached
files) is CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the person(s) named above.
If you received this transmission in error, please delete it from your
system and notify us immediately. If you are not an intended recipient,
please note that any use or dissemination of the information contained in
this transmission (including any attached files) and the copying, printing,
or retransmission of that information is strictly prohibited. You can notify
us by return email, by phone at 323.960.7790 or by fax at 323.417.4973.
Thank you.