Re: Migrating 10.4.11 Server to 10.6 (Building boot caches on boot helper partition failed)

On Nov 16, 2010, at 9:45 AM, David Dantowitz wrote:

> Just ran into this...
>
> Nice hiccup migrating a 10.4.11 Server to 10.6 Server on a new Mac mini.
>
> Initially, the mini didn't see the 10.4.11 server via target mode, so had to pop the drive and hook it up to a USB interface (the 10.4.11 server was running SoftRAID 3).

That maybe expected behavior with TDM and SoftRAID.

> Migration went fine.  Added SoftRAID 4, mirrored the second internal drive and then it wouldn't boot (folder with a question mark).

Were you sure to have selected the boot volume (bless) before rebooting?

> Popped in the Server Install DVD and tried to set the boot disk and it reported:
>
> 	Building boot caches on boot helper partition failed

In order to boot you need what is effectively a bootloader which must be readable using the machines firmware. Since you're using RAID the data isn't on the boot volume needs a special partition

> Found a common thread on Google with RAID and migrating 10.4.11 to 10.6, simply adding a missing file solved things.
>
> /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
> www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
> <plist version="1.0">
> <dict>
> 	<key>Kernel</key>
> 	<string>mach_kernel</string>
> 	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
> 	<string></string>
> </dict>
> </plist>
>
> refs:
>
> 	http://dae.cyberic.eu/blog/building-boot-caches-error-when-changing-startup-disk/
>
> 	http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11996524

You very probably need more than just this to have come up and booted from the ?Folder, and just because of the fact that you had rebooted off another disk (the DVD) and the system set and reset the blessed device was what also accomplished the rest, but in better due diligence in this situation I'd be sure to properly bless the volume as well. You technically need more than just the above. (Even in order to get far enough for that plist to matter.) It is probably still advised that you bless the volume. You can use Disk Utility if you want a gui or you bless the volume from the command line.

-d

Dan Shoop
Computer Scientist
email@hidden