Warning: a serious SMB problem with 10.7.1 related to extended attributes

Warning: a serious SMB problem with 10.7.1 related to extended attributes

So…

So, over the weekend, I verified this bug (which I classify as quite serious) with AppleCare Enterprise Customer Support Engineering:

If a file/folder on your 10.7.x Mac (and this includes Mac OSX Server) has some specific (?) extended attributes on it  and you do Windows Sharing for Windows users to access the file/folders -- you won't be able to pull the file down to your Windows desktop.

I verified this with Windows 7, and the Apple guy also verified it with Windows XP.

It will appear to start to copy down, but then you'll get a (more commonly for me) "the file name you specified is not valid or too long" error message  or (less commonly in my case) an "Invalid MS-DOS Function" message.

The extended attributes I was able to find (viewed by "xattr -l <file/folder>" that caused the problem were:

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate  (those two from files downloaded via web browsers or received as e-mail attachments -- always generated that way)

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemScreenCaptureType  (any Mac screen shot generates this)

com.apple.quarantine (sometimes)

com.apple.FinderInfo  (sometimes) -- I wasn't able to determine when/how these two came into play as being a problem.

It's likely not the specific attribute but something about the contents of the attribute at fault.  I didn't dig *that* deeply, but it likely is related to that.

But, unless you remove the meta data, you won't be able to copy the file down to your Windows desktop.   But you can open/run/delete/move the files without issue.

The *workaround* -- which is not a "fix" -- is to remove that attributes from the files (or, in my case, many, many files):

sudo xattr -d <theattribute> *    (add a -r to do recursive deletion…)

like:

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.metadata:kMDItemScreenCaptureType *

(If you don't care about *any* metadata, you can just do:   sudo xattr -r -c *   and that will get rid of all metadata)

The problem is that *this doesn't solve the problem*.   It only clears the metadata when you run the command.   If you download another file from the internet or receive an e-mail attachment or take another screen shot (for example)?   That metadata gets put back on the file and you are back in the the same boat.

So, if this impacts you (it certainly does me), I would encourage you to file a Bug Report and indicate the impact.

Steve Maser (email@hidden)
Sr. Systems Administrator
Office of Technology Transfer