Re: Mac OS 10.6 Server

Sveiki,

> On Mar 18, 2011, at 2:42 AM, Vilius Šumskas wrote:

>> Sveiki,
>>
>> Thursday, March 17, 2011, 11:35:54 PM, you wrote:

>>> Consider it good that your specific problem is resolved. Just be
>>> aware there is a problem with using .local as a DNS domain, it is
>>> not a valid DNS name for a start. And .local is used outside of DNS according to other RFCs.
>>
>> Oh here we go again. Which RFC is that Dan?

> .local is used for RFC3224, RFC2608, RFC2782, RFC3927, and RFC4862
> by zeroconfig/bonjour/avahi/zcip/dhcpd for link-local addresses and
> for mDNS and that's used by Mac OS X, *BSD, Linux, Solaris, Windows,
> VMS, and most modern or Internet savvy OSen. It's implemented by
> numerous hardware vendors as well such as Roku, TiVo, Samsung, HP,
> Novell and Sun/Oracle and as part of just about every network
> printer vendor. It's used by DNS-SD as well and under Windows is
> implemented as SSDP. Its supported in CUPS as well. It's also found used in the ACN set of protocols.

> .local is very explicitly covered in its IETF Draft, which is the
> same as an RFC. It's been in force since 13th July 2001 and the
> latest may be found at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-14

Sorry Dan, but NONE of your mentioned RFCs contains .local in it.

As  for  IETF  Draft,  it's  been a draft since 2001 and it seems nobody really
cares  about  it except Apple. And NO it's not an RFC and it's not "in
force".

Everything else is pure speculation. Please give us proof about "it's
invalid according to RFC".

--
Best regards,
 Vilius