Re: How to spec new OSX server

On Mar 31, 2011, at 6:47 AM, Simon Slavin wrote:

> If you're only sharing documents the really are worked on by more than one person then a single server might be fine for you.

Remember that not all applications support their documents on shared fileservers. Adobe products specifically come to mind. MSFT Office docs are often also problematic expecting expanded access to base directories to create temp files. (The latter can be worked around but is problematic.)

> But I'd get something with at least 4 cores and at least 8 Gig of memory.

AFP Server is very memory intensive, by design. It's more important to give it plenty of memory so that it can perform well than to give it more processors or cores.

-d

Dan Shoop
email@hidden
GoogleVoice: 1-646-402-5293